World Warfare
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Idea for the Carriers

NinjaBlox

I had this idea for the aircraft carriers:

No longer allow frontline (Mitchell) and strategic (Superfortress) bombers to land on carriers— It’s just not realistic at all. A real bomber would clip its wings on the conning tower.

Ordering an attack on a unit or group launches TBD “Devastator” or SBD “Dauntless” bombers at the target— A carrier could hold, say, 4 to 6 units of these. They would fly at the target, bomb it till it’s deader than dead or until they’re out of ammo, then return to the carrier to resupply. Ordering an attack on a different target while they’re still out would redirect all live bombers that still have ammo or fuel to the new target. If shot down, they could be resupplied to the carrier at a port. These bombers would not be able to be launched or controlled manually other than sending them to attack or recalling them.

I feel like these could make carriers a bit less micro-heavy and more valuable. At the moment, they’re just a cheap way to move around planes.

3 minutes ago, Jasper said:

True, but this is also the game where gig transport plane planes can carry maus tanks

The Gigant would just not be able to take off in real life. No major damage done.

However, the B-29s would lose their wings to the conning tower and the B-25s would fall into the ocean or lose their landing gear and damage the flight deck while trying to land on a carrier.

I’m fine with the Gigant being able to transport a Maus because the line where the game is too realistic to be fun is when it takes a whole day to attack anything because you can’t get tanks there quick enough.

But bombers can fly, and it takes at most half an hour to get to the area you need to blow up.

Lets settle one thing right away B25s can and did land on carriers in real life look it up if you dont believe me, if memory serves, several landed on USS Shangrilla in late ‘44. Landing the B25s was never an issue; the reason the bombers went to China after the Doolittle raid was because the carriers were not gong to wait around to recover them for risk of being spotted and attacked. Point of fact the carrier task force was spotted by japanese patrol vessels and the doolittle bombers had to launch off the carriers several hours ahead of schedule so the carriers could turn back for pearl harbour. 

That being said I agree that strats have no business landing on carriers which was the whole point of the US island hoping campaign in the Pacific (look up Mariana islands) namely to secure airfields close enough from which the USAF could bomb Japanese vital areas.

On 12/19/2017 at 12:19 PM, Immel said:

Lets settle one thing right away B25s can and did land on carriers in real life look it up if you dont believe me, if memory serves, several landed on USS Shangrilla in late ‘44.

That was a PBJ-1H, a variant of the B-25 made for the US Marine Corps. It was a specially modified one made for carrier landings, with a landing hook, reinforced landing gear, and slightly shorter wings. Since it was an experimental aircraft and not made for the USAAF, it doesn’t count as a standard B-25 like the ones in the game.

Edited by NinjaBlox

50 minutes ago, NinjaBlox said:

That was a PBJ-1H, a variant of the B-25 made for the US Marine Corps. It was a specially modified one made for carrier landings, with a landing hook, reinforced landing gear, and slightly shorter wings. Since it was an experimental aircraft and not made for the USAAF, it doesn’t count as a standard B-25 like the ones in the game.

Gigs can carry Maus tanks. This game isn’t exactly a documentary. 

• 5 months later...

I havent noticed any increase in cost for either carriers or bombers and I use both fairly frequently.

As for nurfing their damage I saw no stats change since the new bombers were introduced. I still feel that strats are too good at everything they should only be good vs infrastructure and be bad at everything else.