World Warfare
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Leagues, training, and new players

MkV

I’d like to have a discussion around leagues, training, and new players.

I'll start by saying that this is, quite frankly, one of the best wargames I’ve played, and I’ve played HUNDREDS. It’s an excellent blend of Strategy, Tactics, Logistics, Base Building, Army building, Diplomacy, Multiplayer PvP, and Operations on a truly grand scale. While the game is relatively simple to play, it is also incredibly deep.

Next, this is a team game. I’m not saying you can’t solo, you can. Realistically though, this game is designed around leagues, and to truly be competitive, it is my opinion that you should be in a league.

Third, World Warfare is not new player friendly. The game has gotten better (sort of) in teaching new players some of the game functionality with the introduction of the “Rites of Passage” Map. They are then eased into the action in a cadet map. Honestly though, most new players are NOT prepared for the brutal realities of World Warfare when they meet the general population.

I have been involved in many conversations around what suggestions could we, as a community, send to the developers to see if they can help with this. I have come to 2 conclusions. One, it’s not really their job, and Two, do we really want them taking attention away from fixing Lag and adding content to address these issues that, in my mind at least, the community could, and should do better.

Having said all of that, I’m curious to your thoughts on the subject. What, if any, steps are you guys taking to train new players that you recruit? Are their Leagues out there that are more “New Player Friendly” than others? What, if anything, should the community be doing that we currently are not?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

MkV, I think this is a good idea. I can’t speak for other leagues but Pasta is always looking for possible new players/recruits. We have a few different ways to test them out. I think in addition to the two maps that are in place for new players there should be another map for players with say under 700-800 hours of play(this may need to be adjusted). I think new players would fair much better having a middle map instead of being thrown into maps with senior players and leagues.  

Not to put a bad spin on things but it’s not always easy to try to help new players. Some don’t want to listen to advice and some players in the community are less than honest about how things work in the game.  I mean you can explain it to them but you can’t make them understand. Not sure I’m helping but those are my thoughts. 

Wolfpack used to be the most new player friendly league around. Now... I can't really say the same anymore. I'm not really sure who the most new friendly player league is. There are lots of smaller leagues or lower ranking that accept newer players.

Honestly I'm not sure who it would be. At COC we at times accept active new players and do our best to train them, however, it's difficult to fight large enemies and train new players at the same time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hitgirl said:

MkV, I think this is a good idea. I can’t speak for other leagues but Pasta is always looking for possible new players/recruits. We have a few different ways to test them out. I think in addition to the two maps that are in place for new players there should be another map for players with say under 700-800 hours of play(this may need to be adjusted). I think new players would fair much better having a middle map instead of being thrown into maps with senior players and leagues.  

Not to put a bad spin on things but it’s not always easy to try to help new players. Some don’t want to listen to advice and some players in the community are less than honest about how things work in the game.  I mean you can explain it to them but you can’t make them understand. Not sure I’m helping but those are my thoughts. 

1 hour ago, Bloodmancer said:

Wolfpack used to be the most new player friendly league around. Now... I can't really say the same anymore. I'm not really sure who the most new friendly player league is. There are lots of smaller leagues or lower ranking that accept newer players.

Honestly I'm not sure who it would be. At COC we at times accept active new players and do our best to train them, however, it's difficult to fight large enemies and train new players at the same time.

Thanks for responding, this is exactly the type of conversations we need. 

I can say that every current permanent member of WeFew came to us with less than 10 games. We have a training curriculum that every member in selection goes through, regardless of experience. The training is conducted on a throwaway alt account, usually in a cadet map. It consists of the following steps/tasks

1. Watch the city building and initial gameplay on youtube.

2. Replecate that in a cadet map with an officer (also on a throwaway alt) watching.

3. Capture an MZ with troops from a level 5 muitions factory with no losses. (We demonstrate with them watching us, then we watch them, and they do it until they can do it with no losses)

4. When then take them through setting up and running an LC.

5. They then have to attack one of the SS cities and take it with troops from a level 8 munitions factory and only gigs from an LC while taking no losses. (Once again, we demonstrate it, then they do it until they succeed)

This concludes the basic portion of the training. From there they move to more advanced training. The advanced training is more centered around whatever role they are being assigned to.

The primary downside to this method is that its very time consuming. Its not too bad because we rotate training duties among the officers. We are pleased however with the overall results.

2 hours ago, MkV said:

Thanks for responding, this is exactly the type of conversations we need. 

I can say that every current permanent member of WeFew came to us with less than 10 games. We have a training curriculum that every member in selection goes through, regardless of experience. The training is conducted on a throwaway alt account, usually in a cadet map. It consists of the following steps/tasks

1. Watch the city building and initial gameplay on youtube.

2. Replecate that in a cadet map with an officer (also on a throwaway alt) watching.

3. Capture an MZ with troops from a level 5 muitions factory with no losses. (We demonstrate with them watching us, then we watch them, and they do it until they can do it with no losses)

4. When then take them through setting up and running an LC.

5. They then have to attack one of the SS cities and take it with troops from a level 8 munitions factory and only gigs from an LC while taking no losses. (Once again, we demonstrate it, then they do it until they succeed)

This concludes the basic portion of the training. From there they move to more advanced training. The advanced training is more centered around whatever role they are being assigned to.

The primary downside to this method is that its very time consuming. Its not too bad because we rotate training duties among the officers. We are pleased however with the overall results.

Sounds time consuming. While I don't have a family, I have a serious job that requires me to work weird hours sometimes lol. A lot of us just don't have the kind of time that It takes to do that...

The amount of patience it would take... woooh.

3 minutes ago, Bloodmancer said:

Sounds time consuming. While I don't have a family, I have a serious job that requires me to work weird hours sometimes lol. A lot of us just don't have the kind of time that It takes to do that...

The amount of patience it would take... woooh.

It is, which is why we rotate it. Honestly though, we dont get tons of recruits at WeFew so its really not that bad. Also, once we had done it a few times, we got pretty efficient with it. I dont sit and watch every move, i just do the demonstration and when they are ready I watch/critique the attacks. Then we both get ready for the next task. 

I guess its a matter of priorities. We consider training a critical part of our league. We also invest a considerable amount of time in our new player development. 

What ideas do you guys have as an alternative? Ill admit that we may go overboard. Is there a happy medium?

1 minute ago, MkV said:

It is, which is why we rotate it. Honestly though, we dont get tons of recruits at WeFew so its really not that bad. Also, once we had done it a few times, we got pretty efficient with it. I dont sit and watch every move, i just do the demonstration and when they are ready I watch/critique the attacks. Then we both get ready for the next task. 

I guess its a matter of priorities. We consider training a critical part of our league. We also invest a considerable amount of time in our new player development. 

What ideas do you guys have as an alternative? Ill admit that we may go overboard. Is there a happy medium?

Typically we train players by taking them into direct attacks with the rest group, and then seeing how they do, rather than taking extra time out to train them in a separate field. Usually the ones who actually like the game/us as a team typically stay and learn and fight well with us. It's kind of simple but it's how we do it.

• Upvote 1