World Warfare
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

ZTroops always proceeding on into the line of fire no matter what

FunkenA

I always place troops near a position of attack. I've tried ot move troops there, hold position there. No matter what i do I move on to look at other situation on the map and come back only to find my troops engaged in a battle and I'm losing my troops.

I didn't request an attack I wanted my troops to simp0ly stay put till the rest arrived

The other situation is I engage a turret or a tank and when my troops finish the job they always move into the next line of fire. Again I didn't want that to happen. Just wanted the intial troops dealt with and then for my troops to stay put.

I am losing troops that take way to long to rebuild and then move back into position, and i sure not going to sit there and stare at the screen to ensure the troops are following common sense.

Why does the games AI do these things... If I move a troop to a place out of range of fire I expect them to stay there. If I tell a troop to attack a group of tanks I expect them to stop attacking once that group of tanks is finished so they do not get exposed to a tower or a turret. These are move I like to make while I actually live my life. Nobody wants to baby sit a screen to ensure the AI is behaving as expected

I always place troops near a position of attack. I've tried ot move troops there, hold position there. No matter what i do I move on to look at other situation on the map and come back only to find my troops engaged in a battle and I'm losing my troops.

I didn't request an attack I wanted my troops to simp0ly stay put till the rest arrived

The other situation is I engage a turret or a tank and when my troops finish the job they always move into the next line of fire. Again I didn't want that to happen. Just wanted the intial troops dealt with and then for my troops to stay put.

I am losing troops that take way to long to rebuild and then move back into position, and i sure not going to sit there and stare at the screen to ensure the troops are following common sense.

Why does the games AI do these things... If I move a troop to a place out of range of fire I expect them to stay there. If I tell a troop to attack a group of tanks I expect them to stop attacking once that group of tanks is finished so they do not get exposed to a tower or a turret. These are move I like to make while I actually live my life. Nobody wants to baby sit a screen to ensure the AI is behaving as expected

I agree with this, 

I find the problem mostly occurs in stugs and bombers. Bombers especially. I tell them to "move" to a spot on the map, often times away from a village or resource zone and they are immediately drawn back to the resource zone or village and waste their 10 minutes of ammo attacking a farm. It might be a glitch, but shouldn't a unit only attack something if they are told to hold position or attack? 

If not, I personally think that the attack button is fine. But the "hold position" button should allow troops to attack buildings and units within a certain range but return to the spot that they were initially told to hold the position. 

This reminds me about the "stop" command. I tell a unit to stop, and it doesn't stop. if there is an enemy unit or building even remotely close to the unit then it just pauses for a moment and continues on its merry way. So in this respect, I think it would be a good idea to have the unit stop when pressing the stop button. Duh. But also, when people use the "move" command, the unit moves to the respective location and does not attack. I rarely use the "hold position" button and I think this would allow me to have a means to use it. 

Back to my initial speech, I am less worried about stugs running outta ammo when they get distracted after killing something, but more worried about them dying from getting distracted and accidentally attack a farm whilst a sniper tower shoots it.

I kind of forgot about this problem until now but it does make it a major pain as Funken said.

Assault guns are notorious for this. They have a very wide aggro range. The best way to control this is to control what they see. For example, position your scouts behind the stugs so that ony what you want them to attack is revealed, then with the hold position, they will aggro up, attack the traget, then return to the origional position.

I agree with this, 

I find the problem mostly occurs in stugs and bombers. Bombers especially. I tell them to "move" to a spot on the map, often times away from a village or resource zone and they are immediately drawn back to the resource zone or village and waste their 10 minutes of ammo attacking a farm. It might be a glitch, but shouldn't a unit only attack something if they are told to hold position or attack? 

If not, I personally think that the attack button is fine. But the "hold position" button should allow troops to attack buildings and units within a certain range but return to the spot that they were initially told to hold the position. 

This reminds me about the "stop" command. I tell a unit to stop, and it doesn't stop. if there is an enemy unit or building even remotely close to the unit then it just pauses for a moment and continues on its merry way. So in this respect, I think it would be a good idea to have the unit stop when pressing the stop button. Duh. But also, when people use the "move" command, the unit moves to the respective location and does not attack. I rarely use the "hold position" button and I think this would allow me to have a means to use it. 

Back to my initial speech, I am less worried about stugs running outta ammo when they get distracted after killing something, but more worried about them dying from getting distracted and accidentally attack a farm whilst a sniper tower shoots it.

I kind of forgot about this problem until now but it does make it a major pain as Funken said.

Its a catch 22, because if they dont aggro at all, then whe you are offline they wont even defend themselves if popped from an airfield. Imo that best course of action is to learn how they work and then control them accordingly.

for a game that can move painfully slow this is an inconvenience. I prefer to have line of sight to see what may be coming... 

Hopefully there is a fix planned because this makes the game frustrating... Especially when you are working a multiple city sprawl and want to trust your commands are being followed as intended

thanks for the replies

for a game that can move painfully slow this is an inconvenience. I prefer to have line of sight to see what may be coming... 

Hopefully there is a fix planned because this makes the game frustrating... Especially when you are working a multiple city sprawl and want to trust your commands are being followed as intended

thanks for the replies

You are saying fix when its not broken. You could, alternatively, learn how to use the units as they are. Its not that the commands are not being followed as intended, its that you dont understand how they work. Once you do, you wont have this issue. 

In my experience, the following have the highest aggro range, and therefore must be parked further back.

assault guns, tank destroyers, motorized infantry, recon vehicles, bombers

The following have a smaller aggro range

scouts, jets, p51, all tanks, infantry

The following seem to have no aggro range at all

aa, spaa, artillery, sp artillery, antitank guns

Its broken because I tried moving stuff further numerous times back but when i come back and the troops are engaged again. Why have hold position or move to position if they both basically allow the troops to engage when you do not want them to engage. If my troops are out of range and are not being attacked why would or should  they engage...

Heck even the reply above mentioned this as an issue.. but in your eyes its just something i have to magically figure out. Yes I could adapt to these flaws but they're til flaws.

I agree that these automatic moves are a pain in the butt, but I am not sure you should see them as flaws.   More like the meeting of two alternative needs for gameplay...the need to move troops with a single command versus the need to have troops defend themselves automatically.

i always thought that a good solution would have been a better HOLD command, where troops really do not move at all!

• Upvote 1

Its broken because I tried moving stuff further numerous times back but when i come back and the troops are engaged again. Why have hold position or move to position if they both basically allow the troops to engage when you do not want them to engage. If my troops are out of range and are not being attacked why would or should  they engage...

Heck even the reply above mentioned this as an issue.. but in your eyes its just something i have to magically figure out. Yes I could adapt to these flaws but they're til flaws.

Ive recommended the tutorial where i explained how the different orders work, your response was you like to figure stuff out on your own. Now you have an issue when i suggest you figure it out. 

So far i have tried to answer every single question you have posted on these forums. Now, I'm not sure its worth the effort. You will either figure it out or you wont. 

Good luck.

I agree that these automatic moves are a pain in the butt, but I am not sure you should see them as flaws.   More like the meeting of two alternative needs for gameplay...the need to move troops with a single command versus the need to have troops defend themselves automatically.

i always thought that a good solution would have been a better HOLD command, where troops really do not move at all!

That's what I meant by the alternative "stop command" 

• Upvote 1