World Warfare
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Different Map Leagths

DOMM

I think if we had different maps, 4 , 6 , 8 day maps we would get more players to play the game & to stay with the game . As a lot of players just do not have the time to put in 8-10 days to play , also a lot of players quit or are not active for full maps as real life gets in the way. I think you could get more players to join this game & players  that are already here play more if you made adjustments that would allow players to pick how long they have the time to play. Just my thoughts would like to hear what other players think. Thanks Domm , StrongFree

• Upvote 1

Well Russell one of the biggest problems i see is players quitting because real life gets in the way , when i play i give it 110% , but i have to take breaks between maps as not to burn myself out . Having shorter maps would be a big help , i know i would play more maps if it was only 4 days , 8-10 days just to much for a lot of players . My wife gets pissed at me when on for 8 days straight , sure she is not the only one ....lol. With school , work , family etc. Gets hard to stay on for that long , we always seem to have one or two , quit or get kicked for not being active. Thanks Domm

• Upvote 1

This has been voiced in many of the forums.  Hopefully the devs will start to listen. It's not just 1 guy with the suggestion but many. If you want to keep players involved keep the game at a manageable timeframe so we have time to play. You've lost many of the "big" leagues because of the time it takes away from real life. 

We have inactive player who can't join because they are going on vacation this weekend or have to work long hours next week. Our lives shouldn't have to revolve around the game but be able to work the game into our lives. 

Domm your wife isn't the only one who gets mad. I take many breaks away as well because it's so straining on work and family. It should be a break away from life not a job to stay alive in a game. 

Our league moto is family is first if anyone needs a break or becomes inactive. 

RJ1

Most my teams wives or girlfriends get pissed at them over this game at one time or another , yes family has to always come first. But we love this game , but it needs to work better for all players , as a lot of players have quit or just do not play much, do to the amount of time it takes out of their & family's life.  I have a few other ideas that would help get & keep new players but waiting to see if anything is done or said about this idea first. Thanks Domm

Part of what makes this game fun is the depth. Shorter games sounds fine until you consider the effects on the balance. You would have to also adjust build and upgrade times. Adding new maps with shorter build times, unit restrictions, and rules mods sounds interesting and I'd like to see it as well, but Please be careful that you don't dumb the game down to just another of the mindless clicker games that are out there. This is one of the best games on mobile devices for a reason.

You also need to be aware of the unintended consequences of shorter games and accelerated time schedules. To see an example just look at the cups. 

I totally agree that field lengths should be shortened somehow.   I am retired and play 12-16 hours daily throughout a 8 day field.  Most folks cannot keep up with this, as jobs, family and sanity demands get in the way.  We have all heard folks say this in every field.  However, I am burnt out after 8 days and take a week off before going into another serious map.

Shorter duration fields do imply the need for faster upgrade, training and travel times, but I am sure that can be worked out for the better.  Faster times would be very much appreciated.  For me, one of the most boring parts of the game is flying far across the map (setting flight waypoints instead of straight lines might be an alternative way of solving this).

Shortened fields would make the game more enjoyable, although it should not become the pace of an arcade game.  Similar to some of the poker websites, developers might consider an option to enter either faster or slower paced fields.   That would allow for a test environment, as well as showing how players vote with their feet.

Hope you find this helpful!   Love the game!   Please speed up the game as well as fix the chat!

• Upvote 1

I agree with both Iggy 112 & Mk5 build times , numbers of players per map, etc would have to be changed but i think more players would play more often , if you had shorter maps , keep the 8 day map also , just give a choice in long run more $$$$ for game. When i play a map i put 110% into it average 80-100 hours per map , then have to take a week or more off to recoup & have time with family , i love this game do not warn to see it destroyed , but we are losing a lot of very good players due to time it takes to finish a map. 

Part of the issue with multiple maps at the same time is player base. Quite frankly, there just aren't enough players to fill up global fast enough when there is a competing map. When battle islands map is out, it can take global several days to fill up. This causes some very unbalanced games. There are people spawning in zone six when the people in zone one are already flying around in bombers. 

I think they are on the right track with their plan for tutorials. Much of the player base loss is from people being frustrated with the learning curve.

In my experience, many people in a global map literally don't last the first day. Depending on the number of dominating leagues, the map will end with less than half the people it started with. Not all of this is due to the length of the map. Many times it's just players quit when it's obvious they won't win, or they lose their capital, army, LC, or whatever. 

Im not convinced that the problem is length of map. It may be a contributing factor, but even then that depends. I've seen maps that seemed to drag on because there was no competition and the winner wasn't in doubt. I've seen other maps that were very competitive and they seemed over too soon. 

Dont get me wrong, I'd like to see some different maps and some variation to scenario, units available, and length. I just want to point out that the issue is more complex than just map length, and that changing it without the proper forethought may cause more problems than it fixes.

• Upvote 1

I understand where you are coming from yes you are right on a lot  of your points and i agree with them, but if they did a 4 day  adjusted the map , i think more would stay & play the entire map , as it is now 20 start after 3-4 days only have 10-12 still active or even still in it . It will not fix all problems but its worth a try , with me i have to take a break between maps or get burnt out. I know i would do a lot more maps if you had a choice , the other thing is now i have 8-10 maps on the go as members get tired of waiting 8 days to join a league map . So members are active but spread all over the place. You are right i see a lot of players quit do to not winning ,loss of city etc. I have a few ideas about new players as well as you are right they go up against experience players get killed fast ,leave the game. They need to have time to be trained , helped but can be a full time job helping them in a full map with experienced players. I try to help where i can but if there are in a map i am not in its almost impossible to help them much as you can not see the map or their set up. Having leaders & dep. Leaders able to see all maps that members are in would be able to help new players a lot , as you would be able to see & help them with advice . Thx Domm 

MKv, responding to your point on folks leaving the map.    While I am on my week long breaks between serious fields, I enter many other fields for free gold.   2-3 times a day I will roll into a field, stay 4 hours and quit.   It's good for 3K gold reward and takes only a minute to enter and establish a base, and then is no effort.  If I am in a field for the evening rewards, then I also collect that bonus.  This is very casual play while earning free gold, even if it is much less than serious play over 8 days.

However, by entering many fields, I have a glimpse into how quickly fields fill out.   I mentioned 4 hours above, but there is another consideration.  Since you cannot enter the same field after leaving, the current field must be complete before you can enter another fresh field.   So I see many fields (global maps in your parlance) which take 8+ hours to complete.   I may be wrong but this completion time seems to be longer than a year ago, implying that less folks are playing this game.  NOT GOOD!

This approach to many fields also shows how many folks, like me, quit early in the game.   Seems there a a fairly large community using the same technique.

Lastly, Can one estimate roughly how many players are in the game from these conditions?  There seems to be 3-4 new fields in a 24 hour cycle, with 260 players per field, with cycle repeating every 8 days.   4 x 260 x 8 is roughly 8,000 entries.   Clearly, there are other considerations.   There are some double counting for folks entering and leaving multiple fields, probably more than offset by larger number of folks that take breaks due to burn out, work, family, vacations, etc.   I would guess we have an active and semi-active community of 20,000 - 25,000 players.   How many total players are on the rolls must be much higher.   Just looking at my friends list, I can see many folks that have been inactive for 30, 60 or 90+ days.   The list is long enough that I delete folks after 100 days, and I have deleted a bunch.

2 hours ago, Iggy112 said:

MKv, responding to your point on folks leaving the map.    While I am on my week long breaks between serious fields, I enter many other fields for free gold.   2-3 times a day I will roll into a field, stay 4 hours and quit.   It's good for 3K gold reward and takes only a minute to enter and establish a base, and then is no effort.  If I am in a field for the evening rewards, then I also collect that bonus.  This is very casual play while earning free gold, even if it is much less than serious play over 8 days.

However, by entering many fields, I have a glimpse into how quickly fields fill out.   I mentioned 4 hours above, but there is another consideration.  Since you cannot enter the same field after leaving, the current field must be complete before you can enter another fresh field.   So I see many fields (global maps in your parlance) which take 8+ hours to complete.   I may be wrong but this completion time seems to be longer than a year ago, implying that less folks are playing this game.  NOT GOOD!

This approach to many fields also shows how many folks, like me, quit early in the game.   Seems there a a fairly large community using the same technique.

Lastly, Can one estimate roughly how many players are in the game from these conditions?  There seems to be 3-4 new fields in a 24 hour cycle, with 260 players per field, with cycle repeating every 8 days.   4 x 260 x 8 is roughly 8,000 entries.   Clearly, there are other considerations.   There are some double counting for folks entering and leaving multiple fields, probably more than offset by larger number of folks that take breaks due to burn out, work, family, vacations, etc.   I would guess we have an active and semi-active community of 20,000 - 25,000 players.   How many total players are on the rolls must be much higher.   Just looking at my friends list, I can see many folks that have been inactive for 30, 60 or 90+ days.   The list is long enough that I delete folks after 100 days, and I have deleted a bunch.

I've notice a lot of the same. I don't pretend to know all of the reasons why people leave early, i just know they do. Also, I'm not against shorter fields. My entire point is that the issue is more complicated than field length.

I agree that you can destroy the chemistry of the game when you shorten it.   It would be tricky to chang ether other elements and still maintain the right chemistry.   That's why I think an optional test environment would be the way to introduce it. If no one likes it, just drop the option and return to current approach.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Iggy112 said:

I agree that you can destroy the chemistry of the game when you shorten it.   It would be tricky to chang ether other elements and still maintain the right chemistry.   That's why I think an optional test environment would be the way to introduce it. If no one likes it, just drop the option and return to current approach.

Agree, this game seriously needs a test server. There are enough dedicated players who would volunteer.

Edited by MkV