World Warfare
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
StevenZ

Batten down the hatches: A letter from the Lead Producer

Hello everyone,

My name is Steven Zhang, the Lead Producer for World Warfare.

Allow me to begin with an admission: Our latest changes to PvP did not achieve any of our goals for World Warfare. In an attempt to realize a grand vision for the game we lost sight of some fundamentals.

We’ve taken a step back and reexamined our initial goals for World Warfare; we have poured over your feedback and decided to make some big, exciting changes in our next update (release date to be announced):

Tech requirement to build units removed. Currently, you need to unlock units in the Tech Tree by using blueprints. With this update, upgrading your buildings unlocks new units. The Tech Tree is now used only to strengthen units.

You can now pick your attack targets. Currently your units pick their own targets, with this update you will be able to select targets.

Change map from Golden Empire to Global War. Global war will be the default map again.

Increase the maximum battle level to allow for more troops and leadership points. We are roughly doubling the number of leadership points you can earn so you can command bigger armies.

Cities are easier to destroy. City durability is going down a little bit so that capturing a city goes by faster.

• No more Factions. You no longer start in one of two factions. You will be free to choose your own allies and determine your own approach to diplomacy. All faction related goals are removed as well. This is one of the biggest changes this update!

• Goals Removed. Victory points will be removed and there is no set duration for the match. The match ends only when there is a single league standing.

New ranking system. The new ranking system keeps track of two scores: Battle Score- destroy enemies, buildings NPCs (less points for NPCs); Territory Score- capture more cities, villages, harbors and other central buildings.

We are renewing our focus on providing the best PvP experience, squashing annoying bugs and adding more convenient functions. These are our core commitments.

Your feedback and passion are incredibly helpful. I read your suggestions carefully. I think of World Warfare not just as the developers’ game, but a game built together with players. I plan to be more open about our design decisions going forward.

Thank you for your passion, your feedback and helping us make a better game. I look forward to hearing from you.

TL;DR: We apologize for recent changes that we admit were not good for the game. We plan to focus on having the most polished PvP experience we can provide. Please give us your feedback and help guide the game. We have lots of ideas on how to make the game better, we hope you’ll explore them with us!

I want to thank the following commanders for giving us amazing feedback and ideas all the time:

1.Tech requirement to build units removed.

BladeGuner 

2.You can now pick your attack targets.

MightyQuinn, GenMadDogMattis, johnny3laze, Majorghost, Boredomfalls, robnadel, Icefrezz, Plucky, Jsmallz, Dano1288, Putinkgb, Geckor, DocM91B, Dckeep44, MrLee, GenRizza

3.Change map from Golden Empire to Global War.

Realvapejay, GenRizza, fengyun, Solus, Duh12   

4.Increase the maximum battle level to allow for more troops and leadership points.

KingCB, Robnadel, fengyun, Noodles, BlitzkriegHK, BladeGuner

5.Cities are easier to destroy.

MrLee, Neptune, LostDaimyo, Creepermaster, Realvapejay 

6.No more Factions.

Enclave, GenRizza

Special Acknowledgements:

BladeGuner, Rotymir, Oracle, KingCB, Semispaz, Noodles, Telwar, Solus, GenRizza, Hitgirl

• Upvote 10

If it's one league standing and 2 leagues are allied how would it ever end? Or does it take that into account?  

Does global being the default mean that golden empire will still be an option?

if troops access is based on buildings will the construction times for muni/army/air base be adjusted to be usable or is the round expected to last far longer and not require the shorter time of 15 days 

Edited by Noodles
Giggity
  • Upvote 6

What would happen with the gold and blueprint systems? Would we still need them to upgrade or just one or the other? Also will there still be mines to help aquire gold?

And I think something needs to be done about the gem system. It's there, you need it to make money, we can't take it away. But the price for gems versus their actual in game value regarding how much you need to speed something up doesn't match up. The game kinda feels like it's all about money grabbing and I know that's what you need, but I also know you don't want it to feel like that without the free players to advertise the game you lose out on potential new paying players, and even turning free players into paying players. Like most games once a timer hits a certain point (30 sec, 2 min, 5 min) it's free to finish the upgrade. I think just incorporating that would have a huge impact. 

16 minutes ago, Noodles said:

if troops access is based on buildings will the construction times for muni/army/air base be adjusted to be usable or is the round expected to last far longer and not require the shorter time of 15 days 

I'd have to agree. Upgrade times do seem to be a bit long as it is. And with this update I can see battles lasting easily 3 weeks in some circumstances. Especially if you keep it at the same number of players in a match with a league limit of only 20 people. 

Edited by Boredomfalls
  • Upvote 4

Thank you for listening to our replies and for filling our requests, i am VERY happy to see the old global war coming back, and i would hope that this update goes very well, how ever I'd love  to see new troops added as well and like to be able to build/upgrade 2 things at once... Can we increase the time from 15 days to maybe a month? And id like to have an option of global war or golden empire... I will add more ideas when i can think of any more. THANK YOU for listening??

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Noodles said:

If it's one league standing and 2 leagues are allied how would it ever end? Or does it take that into account?  

Hi Noodles, that's a good question.

There should be one league standing in the end. We want to let you decide how to resolve it. It could be complicated, because there are diplomatic relationships now. There may be 3 leagues, both the other 2 leagues are your allies, but they are hostile with each other.

For now, one league standing is the choice. What do you think?

• Upvote 4

Wow on the changes coming hmmm a lot to process and look at before I can give a full detail comment so I will post a short version first.

it will take about 3 weeks to Lvl a city up to full And to get full troops with current build times. remember it takes 6.6 days alone to Lvl a munitions building alone. That's a bit long normally I would say a fair upgrade a city to full every building would be nice within a week but for league battles it has to be in 2 days because we only have 4 days.

If it's a last league standing we need to remove leadership points or flags as I call them. There is no need to have any restriction unless the Lvl we go up will allow us to hit 500 so we can cap a big map. 

The issue brought up already it should be a last allience left standing meaning if all the map is green it ends. 

Some games I played had a new map every week this is a nice system to think about instead of starting in the queueing system for the big maps ATM leagues can plan to start a map with new maps. but I can go into that more later.

now the biggest issue and it might not be one no faction is nice but has draw backs as well. One being new players joining any good league is not going to take them in because we are limited to 20 members at the moment. Maybe up how many we can have in a league.

now the biggest issue I have with this is lucky strikes and godz gets in a map together we spawn close but don't want to ally we fight it out one of us come out on top. Now we just got rid of our only active big enemy. I have watch this game for 2 different map cycles now and it only has about 30 to 40% active players after. The first 5 days. Give or take.

you mean to tell me that in order to win a map now I have to cap abandon city's and players that have left the game for a new map or all together. What I'm saying is with out a end goal you will see this. A league caps half the map. No one else really active to make it fun anymore so they leave the map and move on to the next map. No end point other than capping everything isn't that great of a idea but no factions has downsides but it's got good sides as well.

i have played games with no end point to them and I could go back and still play the old map I left and return to the new one but the issue is we don't have a full map of active players at any map I have seen. So once the actives are capped out its going to be one boring ride to the finish line if there is over 200 city's to cap. 

I will comment more later the Asians are at my door again hehe got to kill some arty.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, Noodles said:

Does global being the default mean that golden empire will still be an option?

The Golden Empire will be removed, we may rebuild it in the future.

Yes, the construction times will be adjusted. And the time of battle will be not limited to 15 days any more.

• Upvote 2

Saw your reply and I think it's better for last alliance standing vs last league standing. Maybe limit ally's to 4 only not sure but. Here's why

if I lucky strikes allies with godz and we work as one to kill the map off I don't want to turn my back on a ally. In the real world another country goes to war together they don't turn around and bomb them just to take the corn to feed the children hehe so I vote last alliance for win. If the maps green it's a win.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Rotymir said:

Saw your reply and I think it's better for last alliance standing vs last league standing. Maybe limit ally's to 4 only not sure but. Here's why

if I lucky strikes allies with godz and we work as one to kill the map off I don't want to turn my back on a ally. In the real world another country goes to war together they don't turn around and bomb them just to take the corn to feed the children hehe so I vote last alliance for win. If the maps green it's a win.

I am with you on this =.,= Hmm what would happen if Americans turned their back on the British in ww2..

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, Boredomfalls said:

What would happen with the gold and blueprint systems? Would we still need them to upgrade or just one or the other? Also will there still be mines to help aquire gold?

And I think something needs to be done about the gem system... 

I'd have to agree. Upgrade times do seem to be a bit long as it is. And with this update I can see battles lasting easily 3 weeks in some circumstances. Especially if you keep it at the same number of players in a match with a league limit of only 20 people. 

The technology system will be retained. You don't need to unlock a technology before you produce a weapon, but you can still upgrade your troops in technology system. Blueprints will be removed. And you can gain gold when you finish a battle, and also daily gold rewards according to your points and ranking.

We will do something with the gem system in the future. You are right, we need to make money, but we need the game to be fun first. 

The upgrade times will be adjusted. 

• Upvote 3

I disagree with the one league standing, but perhaps a league force standing that all share ally status so a group of allies could achieve victory. As long as there is enemies in the board the field will not end basically.

also what sort of exchange compensation. Will we receive for blueprints perhaps 10000 gold per print we currently have?

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Moab said:

Thank you for listening to our replies and for filling our requests, i am VERY happy to see the old global war coming back, and i would hope that this update goes very well, how ever I'd love  to see new troops added as well and like to be able to build/upgrade 2 things at once... Can we increase the time from 15 days to maybe a month? And id like to have an option of global war or golden empire... I will add more ideas when i can think of any more. THANK YOU for listening??

Thank you for your feedbacks too. Most of the new troops will be usable in the battle, without unlocking them in the tech system.

The time limit is also removed, it's all up to your decision now. 

Golden Empire will be removed temporarily, we need to rebuild it.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, StevenZ said:

Hi Noodles, that's a good question.

There should be one league standing in the end. We want to let you decide how to resolve it. It could be complicated, because there are diplomatic relationships now. There may be 3 leagues, both the other 2 leagues are your allies, but they are hostile with each other.

For now, one league standing is the choice. What do you think?

So as long as all remaining leagues are allied together completely it would end? But as long as someone has an enemy left it will continue?

• Upvote 2

This last league standing sounds a lot like league battlefields which we already have. Not everyone wants to play those type of battles/maps. There is a lot of comradery from working with other leagues on a map. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, CptPrice23 said:

Hey I quoted solis and agreed to change back to regular whatever

Solus

Hey, where is Solus, what do you mean by Regular... 

On March 9, 2016 at 5:40 AM, CptPrice23 said:

Can you atleast tell us if your going to fix hitters Hudini troops they teleport or just spawn right over your troops

Your right souls they should work on a new map or they could add a feature that allows you to chose between maps like you could play golden empire or you could play the regular map itself make the game more fun and realalistic because world war 2 had battles everywhere I also think it would be sweet if you had a campaign  but that may just be me cause I'm a fan of completing the campaighn so I know how the game works and I get some strategies from it so yeah

That's what about I agreed to him about going back to the regular battlefields

That what I said includes going back to the regular map I don't know if being to chose the maps is a option cause even though I'm a kid in 5th grade I know that the servers that you use hast to be able to hold the game data atleast I think

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Noodles said:

So basically it's just a big league battle with the victory point finish retained 

Nah, no more v points. 

Sorry I meant it's a league battle with the victory point to finish removed.  Aka basically no reason to play global any more as league battle would give far greater rewards in a much shorter period of time.   I see a lot of leagues never getting anything done anymore 

• Upvote 4

The one league last standing is a great idea. if we are going to be having other league as our ally that would not be the last league standing. When the war ends the league and hes ally should have another war where they fight till one league left standing. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Rotymir said:

Wow on the changes coming hmmm a lot to process and look at before I can give a full detail comment so I will post a short version first....

Thank you Rotymir.

Upgrade times, leadership points, and max troops limit will all be adjusted, as your wish.

I will think about members limit of leagues. That’s a good point.

You are right, no ending points and no factions have both downsides and good sides. We have tried the game with and without them. I’d like to say it’s better to be more open. You will have your own choice, but not be told how to play this game. That’s the fun with this game. This may lead to something unpredictable. We will try our best to make a balance.

I think it’s not good if a battle never ends. I have played some other SLG game that never ends. It will be boring as last. I prefer to end it before it gets boring.

I hope things is fine with you. Looking forward for your comments.
Edited by StevenZ
  • Upvote 2

I'm glad to see feedback is actually reviewed and taken in to consideration forfuture updates. Thank you for that.

I'm liking where you seem to be headed. I for one am not a big fan of the last major update.  One thing I ask is that you ensure your product is ready for release with the next update. While I love this game, as the sleepless nights and countless hours of play time attest to, but it is very frustrating and exhausting trying to overlook the numerous development bugs that have and still do plague the game.  I will not list them here as the topic has been covered by others in great detail in many other threads. Please, just thoroughly test your product prior to release and fix those bugs rather than rush release and hope that the bugs won't scare to many people away.  If you do respect your loyal players you owe them at least that.

Having read through the comments for this thread there is one thing I really hope you address with the future update. That is to balance out how much XP is earned through gameplay.  There is nothing more frustrating than playing a tight battle with leagues and individuals fighting it out only to have several players that have done nothing for their leagues and/or faction (glad you're getting rid of those, never made sense to me) topping the rankings because all they do is chase Tigers for that ridiculous 11 000 XP.  Getting rid of that "temptation" will go a long way to ensuring this is a game fixated on giving the best PvP experience as it will force those Ace chasers to actually play the game to earn their rank not just do their own thing.

Thank you

BrutalDestiny

Cocidius

• Upvote 2