World Warfare
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New player retention

BladeGuner

One of the reasons that I see new players leave the game is that they are thrown in to battles with more experienced players. Before they even get a chance to get their feet under them, somebody wanders by and wipes them out. This can be discouraging to most people.

I propose that you create a training battle where people can learn against NPC. This would give them a chance to figure out the general mechanics of the game before they are thrown out into the deep end of the pool. I think that you should always be able to go back to the training area to try out new strategies. It should only be one person in the battle, so they aren't attacked by a real person. You shouldn't be able to spend diamonds here either. 

Next I propose that the first battle that a new player is put in be against other new players. And the new battle field be smaller with less total people in it. The battle should be shorter duration, say 5 days. You shouldn't be able to earn diamonds for ranking in this starter battle, this gives an incentive to move up to the main battle. You can continue to enter these battles until you reach a certain level. Then you are forced to join the main battle. You shouldn't be able to join a faction until you are fighting in a main battle.

And there also should be clear instructions that lay out the path to new players so they aren't confused about what is going on. I would even volunteer to help write a new player primer. The main screen would have a new player button which takes you to the instructions. And the first time you log in you should be taken to these instructions. 

I want to see the player base grow and anything that helps new players learn how to play in a non-intimidating way should go a long way to helping with that goal.

There could also be a section on the forum for new players, with the new player primer and the instructions in the FAQ. People could also make posts here that they think would help the newbies. The more places that you put this information the better. 

• Upvote 3

Hey Blade, thanks so much for your consideration. Some players do want a single player mode and you make it so elaborate. It's really an honor to have excellent player like you here. We really appreciate your genuine support and it is a big encouragement. We will go to any length to keep optimizing this game. :)

• Upvote 2

• Peter featured this topic

Great idea Blade. I don't know if this was mentioned but I think instead of "training battles" and such why not just add a single players to preview maps, troop formations and etc. This will eliminate the need for more servers(I think) and let EVERYBODY utilize it because I can say from first hand experience that even people with over 100hours logged don't know everything about the game.

FURTHERMORE, yes new players get wrecked in experienced battles but most older players are willing to help and side step them, most of the time especially if they talk and are active.

Besides, if they made a map just for new players I can bet money that people will make new accounts just to troll the newbies. I know I would lolol

• Upvote 1

Besides, if they made a map just for new players I can bet money that people will make new accounts just to troll the newbies. I know I would lolol

Solus, I'm not sure how you make a new account. I think accounts are based on Game Center ID? Not sure. You raise a good point, but since you can't share any rewards between accounts, I don't see a big advantage to trolling the newbies. 

Great idea Blade. I don't know if this was mentioned but I think instead of "training battles" and such why not just add a single players to preview maps, troop formations and etc. This will eliminate the need for more servers(I think) and let EVERYBODY utilize it because I can say from first hand experience that even people with over 100hours logged don't know everything about the game.

My problem with " Player Preview" is that it would act like a super radar. Allowing a league player to see the whole map and all the units of both faction is what I assume this preview would do. This information would be very useful to some un-scrupulous players. 

I appreciate your comments, the more we can bounce ideas around in the forum the better features we will get in the game.

• Upvote 1

Yes Blade, accounts are based off of Gamecenter ID's. But I know rewards aren't shared between accounts, I just think it would be funny to do that. But that's just me <]:^)

By preview I mean just be able to practice in single player. Ya know like be able to see the whole map and it's spawn points, routes, resources in a more relaxed manner and be able to play with different troop setups. Single player mode would help regulate a lot of the balance issues at this points and people of all ranks could benefit from extra training and practice via single player mode. 

• Upvote 1