World Warfare
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Defender of the Fatherland Day

Guest Manson1975

Guest Manson1975
On 2017/2/23 at 11:13 AM, WW2buff said:

My Grandfather fought in the Battle of the Bulge under the 84th Railsplitters and was awarded a Bronze Star and two Purple Hearts(Fist was a sulfur grenade exploding on his chest. Second was when a grenade exploded behind his head)

And your ingame name please!

My grandfather served in WW2 as a Sargent in the Army. He led a fire team of soldiers across the Rhine River and destroyed a large munitions & supply factory. Later received several medals for his brave actions. He survived the war and returned home after serving several years. 

Player name:

Big*Love 

I had 3 great  uncles who served in WW2 in the Canadian armed forces all three were in different branches one was in the army and went MIA and never found his body another was with the Royal Air Force and as KIA over the pond and my uncle rominius who died of cancer  a couple of years back was with the navy. He never really talked about war but his basement was full of souvenirs were i spent countless hours. His greatest prize was his scrape book. In it you see him pictured sharing vodka and beer with other Russian navy officers 

DarkOnyx: My Great,GreatGrandfather, Grandpa Chester was Polish and in the Polish Navy he was serving out at sea on the ORP Błyskawia the only Polish ship to survive The Nazi invasion of Poland it escaped the Germans and made its way to friendly waters after it helped liberate Europe 

• Guest locked this topic
Guest Manson1975
On 2017/2/26 at 0:59 AM, Irishmen1014 said:

I had 3 great  uncles who served in WW2 in the Canadian armed forces all three were in different branches one was in the army and went MIA and never found his body another was with the Royal Air Force and as KIA over the pond and my uncle rominius who died of cancer  a couple of years back was with the navy. He never really talked about war but his basement was full of souvenirs were i spent countless hours. His greatest prize was his scrape book. In it you see him pictured sharing vodka and beer with other Russian navy officers 

Can you show us some photo? Would love to see it!

• Guest unlocked this topic

My Mother's Dad served in Europe as a combat engineer. He got a luger from a german LT he captured, and sold it before he left Europe. He said he always regretted doing that!  

My dads father was a medic in the pacific, and he didn't talk much about his experiences. 

--Finndizzle 

Edited by Finndizzle
Spelling

My Father , Mother , 3 Uncles all severed in WW2. One Uncle servered in Italy with the Canadian Army , other 2 Uncle served  In France , Belgium , Holland & Germany. My mother was a Sarge Canadian Air Force , my Father was a gunner Canadian Army , France , Belgium , Holland & Germany , was wounded by a German dropping a grenade on him from a roof top while driving a truck in Jan. 1945 & was badly wounded Mar. 1945 in Germany by a Germany fighter dropping a bomb on his unit while manning a AA gun during a suprise attack . Still have the piece they took out of his leg was in hospital till July 1945. Also lost a number of relatives in the Battle of Britain including 2 fighter pilots. Large number of relatives servered in the British Army , Air Force & Navy  as well as Australia & U.S, Armed Forces during WW2 .  On my Mothers side had  3 uncles 2 Aunts served in the Canadian Air Force & Army, 2 were fighter pilots. 

• Peter unfeatured this topic
  • Guest unlocked this topic

Morris Turner 

B 1923

M 1943-1946

My Fathers 3rd 1/2 Brother fought in WW2.

He came home after 1st tour. Supposedly my Great Grandmother Eliza Jane & the 2 "Old maid" Aunts hid him in the attic of the old southern home. They had spoiled him so much as a baby and missed him so bad that they didnt want him to go back into War. The Army came to look for him and never found him... the women hid him well. Uncle Morris was spoiled in this way because his mother died while having him and my Grandpa Virgel had to let his mother & 2 younger unmarried sisters care for Morris as a infant. They loved Morris so much they kept him as their own. However trying to dodge the muster was embarrassing. Our entire family has widespread history in America from "the French Indian War" to "revolutionary War" soldiers, Mexican War, Alamo, & the North & South (Union/CSA), Civil war heros, WW1, Pearl Harbor, WW2 and on..... So Morris was the last of the service men accept for J. Eugene Turner and all the grandchildren... most of whom enlisted but managed to server inbetween major wars.

We come from great men who served such as George Washington, Robert E. Lee, DarkHorse & LightHorse Lee, John B. Hood, Nathan Bedford Forrest, John Turner, John T Thompson, John Quincy Adams, and more.....

• Upvote 1

My grandfather, on my dad's side, was a merchant marine.  It he never spoke about his experiences.  All I ever heard was from my father who spoke about letters that grandpa wrote that had bits of the letters cut out of them.  It's presumed that this was done by the government to protect sensitive information.

My fiancee's grandfather was stationed at Ft. Bliss for a short time before he went to England.  While he was there he flew several bombing missions into Germany.  

• Hitgirl unpinned this topic