Jump to content
World Warfare
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Manson1975

Defender of the Fatherland Day

Recommended Posts

Commanders!

Russia played a very important part in the victory of WWII. Today, February 23th(Moscow Time) is Defender of Fatherland Day! Let us celebrate together, and never forget the sacrifice of the brave Russian people!

Duration: 2/23UTC-2/26UTC

Rewards: 500 diamonds

To Participate: Share with us your family's WW2 stories, add an old photo of your family member during the war would be even better! Also don't forget to leave your in-game name!

Note:

  1.  World War 2 theme only.
  2. Reward will be sent via in-game mail within 72 hours.

  3. One commander can only receive the reward ONCE.

deni_zahitnika_otechestva-600x297.png

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My grandmother told me the story of how one night in 1944 she was awoken during the middle of the night with the desperate urge to pray for her brother (my great uncle). She said she prayed desperately for him for several hours. Later when he returned home she discovered that at the time that happened, my uncle, who was a cremember in a Liberator, was on a mission over Germany. His bomber was hit by AA and lost two engines. Another was hit as they were limping home. He said the return trip was the most harrowing time of his life and the fact that they made it back was considered by some to be miraculous. He always joked that they made home "on a wing and prayer"

  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Grandfather fought in the Battle of the Bulge under the 84th Railsplitters and was awarded a Bronze Star and two Purple Hearts(Fist was a sulfur grenade exploding on his chest. Second was when a grenade exploded behind his head)

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Macarthur1453 said:

MacArthur1453: my relative died in Stalingrad commanding a tank. A Nazi bugger ran up into the tank and threw a grenade in. 

Where are you from may I ask?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My great grandfather fought in the battle of Hong Kong in the 1940s, he was taken prisoner of war when the Japanese empire cut off and surrounded the city. Thousands of British soldiers were captured and sent to POW camps where they endured harsh treatment. My great grandfather was one of them. During his time as a POW he helped make the bridge over the river Qui (apology for misspell) , which was famously recreated in film, and later destroyed. He later returned home to England in 1945 after being a POW for 5 years. My great grandmother used to say his hair was jet black when he went off to the war, he was a stunning and handsome young man. When he returned he had grey hair and was thin and broken. She said he had nightmares everyday of his life until he pass away.

 

Rest in Peace Todd McLean. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My father, retire from the US Air Force as a Chief Master Sargent, with 31 years of active duty. During WWII he was a member of the Army Air Corp. He flew 14 missions in B-24's as a machine gunner. They only made it back to base with the plane intact on 7 missions. The worst mission found him and the crew shot down behind german lines. The pilot and co-pilot were killed during the attack. He lead the remnants of the crew to safety and was awarded the Air Medal for his actions during the escape.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had three great uncles in the war.  They served in many different roles in support of Generals both in the U.S. And in Europe.

MrJoseg

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My family is my church family.  One served at Bastone in the Battle of the Bulge.  As infantry assigned to a cavalry u it of howitzers, he remembers the deafening sound followed by periods of eiry silence.

Another participated on D-Day +3, landing at Omaha Beach.  When moving inward a driving rain separated him and a buddy from their platoon.  They were both captured by Germans who held them at gunpoint in a barn awaiting transport.  One guard alone held them, and as he got sleepy, the two decided to make a run for it.  My friend ran through the muck while the other tried, got bogged down, and was recaptured.  They reunited following the VE Day stateside.  One served in combat the rest of that war; the other in a POW camp.  Both survived!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My grandpa was in the 82nd Airborne and went in to France on a glider before D-Day. He told us that he lost some friends because a general had a thick piece of metal installed in the glider to keep him from getting hit by AA. Well, as soon as the pull plane released them, they went into a nose dive. Killed everyone.

 

patton71

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My great grandfather was a tail gunner for a Flying Fortress, sadly that is all I know since he was shot down and killed over Germany before my grandfather was born.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Great Grandfather served as an engineer on a submarine in the United States coast guard during WW2. His two brothers served as infantrymen in Africa and the invasion of Italy. As for other family Members that were not related at the time, I have another Great Grandfather who served as an infantrymen in Europe during the latter half of the war. Finally, I had another Great Grandfather who served as a paratrooper. I am unsure of their serving regiments or divisions, but that would be the limitation for myself. As a matter of fact, they all surprisingly made it through the war. The military runs much deeper and fresher in my blood than that however. Screen name is my commander name RedBaronVIM.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My great Unlce was in the WWII. His name was Don Bond, and he was part of the Band Of Brothers, he trained as part of east company, later went to the 101st Airborne, he had some crazy stories, but didn't talk much about what he did over there, it bugged him a lot. He passed ago about two years ago, I wish I would of known him better. ?

 

IGN-Braydon

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My great uncle landed on Saipan in WW2. During one of his squad's patrols they came to a thick bush. They stopped and were talking about where to go next when a Japanese officer screamed and jumped out with his sword, attempting to slash down my great uncle's shoulder into his heart. The sword got stuck on his web gear however, and so he brought our his 1911 and took the officer down. His squad then came under fire from another Japanese one and I don't know what happened next but he did safely return to his post.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife and children indirectly owe their lives to the Russians from WWII. My wife's grandfather was assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division. During Operation Market Garden he was shot in the helmet and the bullet grazed the top of his head, this knocked him unconscious and he was taken prisoner where he remained until he was liberated from his camp by the Russian Army and returned to Allied control. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My great grandfather served in the Navy both in WW2 and the Vietnam War. He survived Peal Harbor's surprise attack on December 7th 1941, however, he did not live on to tell me about those days in which were spent killing the rising sun. 

7 hours ago, Getwrecked1127 said:

This challenge should've been only for russian soldiers tbh

That wouldn't be fair because some people do not have anything tracing to the Soviet Union. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't remember what battle it was but my grandfather always told us a story about how he was shot in the groin and the doctor said he would never have kids. I now have 12 aunts and uncles. Now isn't that something blackford is my in game name 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Getwrecked1127 said:

This challenge should've been only for russian soldiers tbh

The whole world was involved in the war, so i think many people would have stories to share with us.

14 hours ago, SnakeEater said:

My wife and children indirectly owe their lives to the Russians from WWII. My wife's grandfather was assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division. During Operation Market Garden he was shot in the helmet and the bullet grazed the top of his head, this knocked him unconscious and he was taken prisoner where he remained until he was liberated from his camp by the Russian Army and returned to Allied control. 

That's a great story! 

On 2017/2/23 at 11:12 AM, MkV said:

My grandmother told me the story of how one night in 1944 she was awoken during the middle of the night with the desperate urge to pray for her brother (my great uncle). She said she prayed desperately for him for several hours. Later when he returned home she discovered that at the time that happened, my uncle, who was a cremember in a Liberator, was on a mission over Germany. His bomber was hit by AA and lost two engines. Another was hit as they were limping home. He said the return trip was the most harrowing time of his life and the fact that they made it back was considered by some to be miraculous. He always joked that they made home "on a wing and prayer"

The power of prayer!

On 2017/2/23 at 11:16 AM, Burlock said:

My great grandfather fought in the battle of Hong Kong in the 1940s, he was taken prisoner of war when the Japanese empire cut off and surrounded the city. Thousands of British soldiers were captured and sent to POW camps where they endured harsh treatment. My great grandfather was one of them. During his time as a POW he helped make the bridge over the river Qui (apology for misspell) , which was famously recreated in film, and later destroyed. He later returned home to England in 1945 after being a POW for 5 years. My great grandmother used to say his hair was jet black when he went off to the war, he was a stunning and handsome young man. When he returned he had grey hair and was thin and broken. She said he had nightmares everyday of his life until he pass away.

 

Rest in Peace Todd McLean. 

May god has mercy on his soul! War is hell indeed.

On 2017/2/23 at 11:22 AM, BladeGuner said:

My father, retire from the US Air Force as a Chief Master Sargent, with 31 years of active duty. During WWII he was a member of the Army Air Corp. He flew 14 missions in B-24's as a machine gunner. They only made it back to base with the plane intact on 7 missions. The worst mission found him and the crew shot down behind german lines. The pilot and co-pilot were killed during the attack. He lead the remnants of the crew to safety and was awarded the Air Medal for his actions during the escape.

Your father is a hero!

On 2017/2/23 at 11:46 AM, TheRevenator said:

My family is my church family.  One served at Bastone in the Battle of the Bulge.  As infantry assigned to a cavalry u it of howitzers, he remembers the deafening sound followed by periods of eiry silence.

Another participated on D-Day +3, landing at Omaha Beach.  When moving inward a driving rain separated him and a buddy from their platoon.  They were both captured by Germans who held them at gunpoint in a barn awaiting transport.  One guard alone held them, and as he got sleepy, the two decided to make a run for it.  My friend ran through the muck while the other tried, got bogged down, and was recaptured.  They reunited following the VE Day stateside.  One served in combat the rest of that war; the other in a POW camp.  Both survived!

Very lucky!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Graywing said:

My great grandfather was a tail gunner for a Flying Fortress, sadly that is all I know since he was shot down and killed over Germany before my grandfather was born.

May him rest in peace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017/2/23 at 11:13 AM, WW2buff said:

My Grandfather fought in the Battle of the Bulge under the 84th Railsplitters and was awarded a Bronze Star and two Purple Hearts(Fist was a sulfur grenade exploding on his chest. Second was when a grenade exploded behind his head)

And your ingame name please!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My grandfather served in WW2 as a Sargent in the Army. He led a fire team of soldiers across the Rhine River and destroyed a large munitions & supply factory. Later received several medals for his brave actions. He survived the war and returned home after serving several years. 

Player name:

Big*Love 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had 3 great  uncles who served in WW2 in the Canadian armed forces all three were in different branches one was in the army and went MIA and never found his body another was with the Royal Air Force and as KIA over the pond and my uncle rominius who died of cancer  a couple of years back was with the navy. He never really talked about war but his basement was full of souvenirs were i spent countless hours. His greatest prize was his scrape book. In it you see him pictured sharing vodka and beer with other Russian navy officers 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...